Augmented Reality (AR) application development is the next big thing in mobile technology. Even though AR is still taking its baby steps in the digital world, it has already thrust numerous applications into the limelight. But before we talk about Augmented Reality companies and their application development work, let’s take a closer look at the concept of AR itself.
What is Augmented Reality?
The process of digital data being overlaid over objects from the real world forms the basis of AR app development. AR is in no way revolutionary – it derives a lot of elements from technologies that are already well-established and accepted. However, experts predict that AR will play a huge role in the apps of the future.
AR apps can be classified in two broad categories:
- Marker-based Augmented Reality Apps: Marker-based AR apps are based on the concept of pattern or image recognition through software. The patterns are typically hard-coded into the app, which makes the recognition process a breeze.
- Location-Based Augmented Reality Apps: Such apps work on the basis of location, and relay information in context to the real-world location of a device. A great example would be providing directions in an unfamiliar city.
Beware of the Pitfalls of Augmented Reality Apps
AR has opened up numerous possibilities for developers. However, there are potential pitfalls to AR app development. Images or patterns generated by computer software need to be extremely detailed, and their alignment with real-world objects should be spot on. There’s very little margin of error, and if something does go wrong, it would result in a User Interface (UI) that end-users would have difficulty with.
The Basic Requirements of AR Application Development
- Even though the analysis and processing of images and patterns form the basis of AR app development, developers need to be familiar with conventional mobile development processes as well.
- Thorough knowhow of established mobile technologies, along with proficiency in programming languages like C++ and C#.
- 3D modelling, shading, rendering, and texturing are all important parts of AR application development, and developers are expected to have prior experience in all these techniques.
- Last but not the least, developers should be ambitious, as well as dynamic. AR app development is bound to give way to newer technologies, and developers should have the mindset to embrace them.
- Extensive knowledge about multi-device development platforms like DroidAR, Vuforia SDK, ARLab SDK and Wikitude SDK
The future of AR app development looks bright, especially in the sphere of education. With data layered over real-world environments, learning would become more efficient and effective. Even though present-day AR apps require screens and cameras, experts suggest that in the future, those screens and cameras would no longer be necessary, giving way to new-age computing, and bidding goodbye to what once was, and still is.
BediCreative specializes in delivering the finest AR app development for businesses who want to develop apps with one eye on the future. BediCreative’s award winning AR team is bound to benefit numerous businesses in the days to come.